An excellent exercise to build a strong core and get effective circulation, the clam crunch can be performed anywhere. All you need is a comfortable mat, comfortable enough to lie down and of course, focus to build a strong core. Ensure you are performing this on an empty stomach.
Let’s look at the steps on how to perform the clam crunch exercise.
- Look for enough open area to be able to perform the clam crunches
- Place a mat (a padded exercise mat to be precise) on the floor
- If you cannot find a mat, simply fold a blanket multiple times and lay on the floor to protect your back.
- Start by lying down on your back
- Your knees should be bent and feet must be flat on the floor
- Now move your hands to the back of your head
- Your elbows need to be in parallel to your ears and head
- Now form the clam shape by bringing your knees up
- Ensuring your feet are touching each other
- Now start the crunching by curling your upper body towards the pelvis
- At the same time bending your clam shaped knees
- Your elbows need to touch the knees
- A variation to this is that you can lower your upper body
- Keep the clam shaped knees touched the ground
- This way only the upper body gets crunching
- Perform up to 3 sets of 8-12 crunches.